- My name is "Andrea" ... I don't know ANY Asians with the name "A-N-D-R-E-A"!
- I played volleyball for marks in University (graduated with a degree in Exercise Physiology and Sports Performance - a fitness "nerd"; so I didn't become a doctor, lawyer, dentist or accountant)
- I drive a manual transmission (and can actually parallel park, drive backwards, and I don't freak out when I drive over 100 kms/hour)
- My favourite food is NOT rice (I actually quite enjoy pasta and any cheese imaginable!)
- I can drink alcohol without turning seven shades of red or purple (thank goodness!)
- I don't have an ounce of Chinese accent in my voice (I've been told people thought I was blonde-haired and blue-eyed before they met me in person)
- Did I mention I'm six feet tall (in 2" heels) ... but people think I'm taller because their brain is thinking I should be shorter than I am!
- I am not afraid of taking risks and take a leap of faith (when most others are cautioning me to step back)
But ... I also have some VERY Asian traits that I have learned to accept:
- I am very, Very, VERY competitive (there is no Type A scale for me)
- I am stubborn (almost to a fault ... but still lovable and adorable)
- I am ridiculously "nerdy"
- I'm an "all or nothing" type of person (in life, adventures, sports, etc.)
Regardless, the name "Six Foot Canasian" has followed me around the globe for over ten years as I have traveled in many countries where it became how people remembered me! One of my colleagues (after a few beers) had meant to say I was Canadian and said "Canasian". He laughed and then said I was the "six foot Canasian" and it would impossible NOT to notice me in a crowd! From that day on ... the name stuck!
Over the last twenty years my career has led me to the Internet and the power of digital communication. Although I am still intimately involved in the fitness, health and wellness industries I now oversee exciting online marketing projects with some of the smartest people I know ... learning, evolving and growing in my field every day!
Of the hundreds of websites I've been involved in launching and building (SixFootCanasian.ca) is my very first "personal" project ... one where I get to document my perspective on the world, my thoughts, feelings and learnings (with the help of my trusty iPhone)! What started off as a "dare" ended up becoming a wonderful journey of discovery, getting to know the city of Calgary and its hidden wonders, the amazing people who call this place home ... and learning a lot about myself. This is the first time I am not hiding behind a website and putting myself "out there" for the whole world to see and (to be honest) I'm really enjoying the journey.
So, I hope you enjoy a glimpse into the life of the Six Foot Canasian and please feel free to share your thoughts, comments and ideas!
Thank you for sharing in my crazy six foot Canasian world! :)
Andrea Oh (firstname.lastname@example.org)